Thursday, May 23, 2019

Calabas Reef, Bonaire N 12° 8.6', W 68° 16.6'
   Dive Number 221 Buddies
Rob, Shawn
Surface temp
27°C
Starting pressure
3200psi
Depth
55ft
Visibility
great
Time
61m
Water temp
25°C
Ending pressure
1200psi

Notes:

Another night dive! Rob and Shawn seemed happy to log as many dives as possible and since the following night would put us within 24 hours of our flights out, this was to be our last night dive of the trip.

With respect to bioluminescnce, I didn't really know what I was looking for, and I didn't see anything spontaneous, but Rob showed me that if you turned off your light and waved your arms around, that in the path of the turbulent water, you'd churn up a bunch of those little tiny crustaceans and they'd leave a transient glow, like you were waving a magic wand in a movie or something. I left my light off the spent a lot of time doing this. The tarpon were also out in more force tonight. They circled close to the lights (I didn't mention before, but Rob had loaned me a very bright dive light a BigBlue - I may need to get one of those!) In fact at one point, one circled close enough that I nudged it with my thigh and gave myself a start. I also had something happen that Shawn had had happen to him the night before - I had found a small fish in my light and saw the tarpon snap it up. I'm not how I feel about this phenomenon - it's like it violates my prime directive of non-interference or something, but one tiny fish doesn't make that big a difference and it's not like tons of other divers aren't doing the same thing... Am I just trying to assuage myself? We also saw a couple spotted morays and at the pier I observed another lionfish next to a cute looking Spanish lobster under the steps as we exited. Great dive and great buddies to share it with!

We put our gear away and finished the night with a late supper...

No comments: