Monday, May 20, 2019

Bachelor's Beach, Bonaire N 12° 7.5', W 68° 17.2'
   Dive Number 209 Buddy
Philip
Surface temp
27°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
73ft
Visibility
great
Time
32m
Water temp
25°C
Ending pressure
1500psi

Notes:

For our second boat dive, we kept the same buddies and the same entry order; Aaron and Shawn first (Aaron is the biggest guy who uses a chair and benefits from most able helpers on board when he enters the water), then it's Philip and me. Philip gets a little assistance at the back of the boat while I backroll off one of the side gunnels.

Our divemaster was Alvin who remained either divemaster or captain for the remainder of the week. In addition to the usual fish, I spied a large lobster under a small reef outcropping, and at one point someone pointed to the open water in the deeper water behind me. I turned around and saw a bait ball so large the end of it could not be appreciated; the ball was swimming South past us just a little deeper than where I was swimming, and split such that part of the ball swam more shallow than me and enveloped me inside - Alvin reported later that he could no longer see me in the centre! I had been hoping to see the baitball and being swarmed in the centre of the fish was one of my highlights of the trip (and maybe ever!)

No comments: