| The Fearless, Peter Island, BVI | N 18° 22.4', W 64° 35.5' | ||||
| Dive Number 158 | Buddies Martin, Terry | Surface temp mild | Starting pressure 3000psi | ||
| Depth 81ft | Visibility good | Time 48m | Water temp 24°C | Ending pressure 800psi | |
Notes: | With about 20 hours before my scheduled flight, I decided I had time to catch one more dive, the wreck of the Fearless, a wreck in good shape where we saw lots of small banded crab and arrow crab, and a crab inside the hull as big across as a serving plate. There was lots of coral life, and I saw a little squid at the end of the dive, but the learning lesson for me came at the end of the dive. While I was removing my fins to enter the boat, I dropped my flashlight in about 40 or 50 feet of water. The right thing to do would have been to let it go, make a plan and probably to recover it if enough dive time remained, complete with a new safety stop if indicated. Without thinking, I swam down, thinking I could catch it. I did eventually catch it, but ended up swimming down deeper than planned, probably about 30 feet. At that point, without adequately thinking, and worried that my mates would be worried, I surfaced more rapidly than I ought to have. I was uninjured, but I gave Maddy a fright, and spent a long time afterwards reviewing what happened in my mind. Thankfully, there were seared tuna steaks and chocolate truffle pie to distract me when we got back to the boat. Hooray for learning! Hooray for a great vacation! | ||||
No comments:
Post a Comment