Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Muskmelon Bay, Guana Island, BVI N 18° 29.1', W 64° 34.7'
   Dive Number 152 Buddies
Martin, Terry
Surface temp
warm
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
32ft
Visibility
good
Time
53m
Water temp
24°C
Ending pressure
1200psi

Notes:

A southern ray was visible at the start of this dive, and along the way, we saw hermit crabs, and a spotted eel. But the defining feature of this dive was the patch of coral that had no fewer than ten lionfish, including the largest one I'd ever seen (about 30cm). After returning to the boat, Maddy picked up a speargun, and she and I returned to the offending patch of coral. After I helped her load the speargun, she managed to spear the greatest among them. We considered staying to spear more of them, but got fed up of trying to mess around with the speargun, and returned to the boat, where crisply coated red snapper was being served with artichokes for supper.

No comments: