Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Robert Gaskin, Brockville ON N 44° 35.3', W 75° 40.6'
   Dive Number 230 Buddy
Jason
Surface temp
27°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
71ft
Visibility
good
Time
27m
Water temp
21°C
Ending pressure
1500psi

Notes:

Having picked up two additional divers from the dock, our third and final dive of the day was the Gaskin, a wreck off the eastern Brockville shore with an interesting history (three sinkings). I changed into my 3mm shorty and Helen took a photo to prove that the St Lawrence is warm enough to swim without a full wetsuit!

Although this is a simpler dive than the others, there still existed significant current, especially when attempting to swim around the western edge of the wreck. I quickly abandoned this and entered the wreck from above, which gave me a great treat - a large eel was buried in the bottom wiht its head sticking out - I have no idea how long it was but the head looked similar to a large bass sticking up vertically from the floor. I managed to point it out to Jason but the silt from his dive into the bow of the wreck drifted onto the site shortly after he arrived so I'm not really sure if he saw it or maybe got it on the GoPro camera he brings with him. We finished our tour of the wreck and I stopped at the exit line with about 1600 psi - given that I had finished the last two dives with about 1000 psi more than Jason I thought we ought to end the dive at this point, but he swam around the bow into the current again. Apparently he thought I was on the wrong mooring line! He joined me even though he thought we were on the wrong line, only believing we had the right line when he saw the boat at the top after our safety stop. The current on the line had been too much for him - he surfaced and promptly threw up in the water!

I was ready to eat afterwards, but maybe not surprisingly, Jason wanted to wait a little? We made it back to Kingston and had Lone Star fajitas before calling it a night. Successful dive visit!

No comments: