Sunday, July 12, 2009

The KGH, Kingston ON N 44° 13.4', W 76° 29.4'
   Dive Number 101 Buddy
Sylvain
Surface temp
17°C
Starting pressure
3100psi
Depth
63ft
Visibility
good
Time
32m
Water temp
11°C
Ending pressure
1300psi

Notes:

I have tried twice without success to navigate to a local wreck known to members of the club as the KGH because of it's location across from Kingston General Hospital. Today, the club's "Sunday Morning Dive" was going to this spot, so I was keen to go along so that I would learn how to get there.

A mechanical problem at the club meant that we were delayed getting to the dive site, and because of an interruption when going through his pre-dive checklist, had forgotten his BCD at home (for what it's worth, I was also short my dive computer, but thankfully could go without that). Our start was even later than most for this reason, and I was thankful that Sylvain knew how to get to the line (enter, swim to about 20 feet, then turn east to catch the line).

The swim to the wreck was long, we arrived with about a third of our air gone. We took a quick tour around the wreck, and eagerly returned above the 45 foot thermocline on a leisurely swim back. Lots of gobies were visible on the wreck, but the only big fish seen was a single bass on the return swim.

It was great to see Sylvain again, and to go for my first dive of the year with him.

No comments: