Friday, September 07, 2007

Rescue Diver Scenario # 4
Brule Road Quarry, Westbrook, ON N 44° 17.0', W 76° 38.9'
   Dive Number 55 Buddies
Theresa, Phil
Surface temp
26°C
Starting pressure
2000psi
Depth
--
Visibility
--
Time
--
Water temp
23°C
Ending pressure
2000psi

Notes:

We had a clue what might be involved in this scenario when Mike got out his first aid kit and oxygen. We'd forget soon enough, though.

Mike called us on shore this time indicating that his buddy [beside him] was not breathing. I called out to get his to start treatment, at the very least, taking Sylvain's face out of the water and inflating his BCD (it would have also been helpful to get him to start dragging him to us). As we swam back, I got out the rescue mask for Phil to use, but it was surprisingly tricky to get it put on the patient without interrupting rescue breaths. We got him to shore, and had his gear off, but bumbled over getting our own gear off to begin CPR on the shore (in hindsight this could have been done in shifts before we got as close to shore as we did).

Once on shore, Phil and Theresa started good looking CPR, but none of us remembered that the oxygen kit was right there until Mike [in the role of buddy] wondered aloud if there was any oxygen to give him. Most of the rest of the rescue was ok, but like the last scenario, I must admit to having felt we did less than what we ought to have done for the victim.

Rescue Diver Scenario # 3
Brule Road Quarry, Westbrook, ON N 44° 17.0', W 76° 38.9'
   Dive Number 54 Buddies
Theresa, Phil
Surface temp
26°C
Starting pressure
2750psi
Depth
25ft
Visibility
fair
Time
14m
Water temp
23°C
Ending pressure
2000psi

Notes:

For our third scenario, Mike and Sylvain went into the water early and when they came up, Mike called that they had a missing diver, last seen to the North of the barge. Theresa, Phil, and I quickly decided to search in an expanding square pattern, but our plan was compromised when we searched inside the boat, and then abandoned our expanding square before finding the missing diver. Mike eventually retreived us, and we resumed the exercise by floating a nonresponsive diver [Sly] to the surface and planning our extraction. It seems the exercise is more about the process than the result, but I couldn't help but be disappointed not to have found the diver. We ended up repeating a search pattern later with different results...

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Rockport Drift Dive Site, Rockport ON N 44° 21.4', W 76° 59.8'
   Dive Number 53 Buddy
Sylvain
Surface temp
22°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
113ft
Visibility
good
Time
30m
Water temp
21°C
Ending pressure
1400psi

Notes:

Another excellent club dive, this night in Rockport. Twelve of us saw heaps of fish along the wall of Ash(?) Island, and found a line at the end of the gentle drift which we followed down to a barge that is reported to have been used in the construction of the Thousand Island Bridge.

When we got to shore, we were surprised to learn that post-dive pizza was included in the $25 price for the dive!

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Rescue Diver Scenario # 2
Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, Kingston ON N 44° 13.0', W 76° 31.1'
   Dive Number 52 Buddy
Theresa
Surface temp
22°C
Starting pressure
--
Depth
--
Visibility
--
Time
~5m
Water temp
22°C
Ending pressure
--

Notes:

Mike assures me that this is a dive that ought to be logged despite the fact that no tank was applied, and I really didn't even go beneath the surface for any length of time.

In this scenario, Theresa and I waited on shore while Sylvain and Phil went for a dive. They surfaced after a while and signalled to shore that they had trouble. I elected to swim out with just fins and mask/snorkel, while Theresa donned a full kit. [the advantage of getting in the water quickly would have been negated if I waited for her, which was briefly contemplated]. I swam out to the guys [other errors in this exercise include not having my buddy keep an eye on them or point, and I also lost sight of them when I swam beneath the surface. Mike hastened to add that I also walked with my fins acing forward when I was getting in the water]

Nevertheless, it was not complicated one out there to inflate Phil's BC (he was in the role of "tired"), and then Sylvain's (he was more threatening, in the role of "panicked", and I had to maneuver around him to grab his tank and inflate his BC from behind). By the time Theresa arrived, both were under control, and Mike stopped the exercise for the debrief before we had to swim them too far back to shore.

It never ceases to interest me how knowing the "right answers" often fails to result in taking the "right actions" when surprised in a situation like this. Despite our shortcomings, I was pleased with the scenario. Just participating in them is helpful to build confidence.

Rescue Diver Scenario # 1
Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, Kingston ON N 44° 13.0', W 76° 31.1'
   Dive Number 51 Buddy
Phil
Surface temp
21°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
23ft
Visibility
fair
Time
20m
Water temp
22°C
Ending pressure
2300psi

Notes:

For the first rescue scenario, Mike paired me with Phil and Theresa with Sylvain (who is not taking the course presently, but agreed to participate in the capacity of "victim"). We were told to spend about fifteen minutes swimming around and then meet up where the line meets the pipe. Phil and I made it to the stop sign and back where we eventually found Mike and then Theresa and Sylvain.

In the role of "victim", Sylvain started grabbing at his right calf and communicated via his slate that he was meant to be bleeding badly from a cut. We made a controlled ascent together and Phil applied pressure as we swam him [no small distance] to shore. Teresa called help while Phil and I dragged him ashore and then applied a bandage and waited for EMS. There were no major mishaps, and all in all it was a good rescue.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

George T. Davie, Kingston ON N 44° 6.8', W 76° 34.8'
   Dive Number 50 Buddy
Sylvain
Surface temp
24°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
89ft
Visibility
fair
Time
26m
Water temp
13°C
Ending pressure
1200psi

Notes:

For my fiftieth dive, I was joined by Sylvain for the weekly club charter to the George T. Davie, a wreck that neither of us had been on before. The 1898 Coal barge features an interesting lifeboat and a crane for the viewing pleasure of divers, but it lies in 94 feet of water, and a chilly thermocline rested between 70 and 75 feet.

Sylvain and I had the good sense to wear head protection, but we probably ought to have opted for our heavier gauntlets as well.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Stovin Island Drift, Brockville ON N 44° 33.3', W 75° 43.0'
   Dive Number 49 Buddy
Sylvain
Surface temp
28°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
89ft
Visibility
~50ft
Time
29m
Water temp
23°C
Ending pressure
1200psi

Notes:

Our second dive was as good as the first; Sylvain got off to a rocky start when the aforementioned experienced but careless [ie ought to have known better] diver descended on top of him and kicked him repeatedly when trying to swim away. Sylvain and I had a relaxing dive and saw lots of medium sized walleye. The other [400 dive] diver failed to follow the directions and ended up on the wrong side of Stovin Island.

Lillie Parsons, Brockville ON N 44° 33.3', W 75° 43.1'
   Dive Number 48 Buddy
Sylvain
Surface temp
26°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
89ft
Visibility
good
Time
32m
Water temp
23°C
Ending pressure
1200psi

Notes:

On the Treasure Hunt Dive two months ago, I won a two-tank dive from Martin Dive Charters as my prize. This weekend, I took the chance to get two dives in with Sylvain.

Most of the other divers were from Ottawa or Gatineau, most of whom were friendly; one kind of loudmouthy guy was present; I feel bad for the person who got buddied up with him.

The Lillie was interesting to see, lots of people seemed to be filling their bags with charcoal, but we just enjoyed getting the views of the wreck and the drift.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pumphouse, Kingston ON N 44° 13.4', W 76° 28.2'
   Dive Number 47 Buddy
Scott
Surface temp
25°C
Starting pressure
2900psi
Depth
33ft
Visibility
fair
Time
56m
Water temp
21°C
Ending pressure
1250psi

Notes:

Scott and Kim made plans to have a night dive tonight, and I seized the opportunity to join them. Kim buddied up with Pierre, and Scott and I went together. We lost the line out to the wreck, so instead, we "explored".

We saw catfish, lots of bass, and a couple large pike. There was a couple smooching on a park bench as we got out of the water, but like the other wildlife, they scattered when we got too close.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Comet, Kingston ON N 44° 08.35', W 76° 35.1'
   Dive Number 46 Buddy
Phil
Surface temp
26°C
Starting pressure
3200psi
Depth
80ft
Visibility
good
Time
26m
Water temp
17°C
Ending pressure
1900psi

Notes:

Our club dive got rerouted to the Comet tonight because of good conditions - the clam water isn't always there, so we went half an hour out to the Comet. The water was clear and it was warm above the thermocline, about five feet off the bottom.

My buddy was not someone I had been out with before; he had some difficulty with his ears getting down, which may have led to some increased air consumption. We came up with 2000 still in my tank, but the dive was still excellent.