Saturday, November 10, 2007

Pumpkin Experiment Dive, Nicholson Point, Amherstview ON N 44° 12.3', W 76° 40.9'
   Dive Number 68 Buddies
Steve Chew, Jean-Olivier
Surface temp
2°C
Starting pressure
3000psi
Depth
100ft
Visibility
good
Time
28m
Water temp
12°C
Ending pressure
700psi

Notes:

After the recent Pumpkin dive, some speculation started about whether a pumpkin would "implode" or otherwise get structurally compromised by the rigors of depth and pressure. After a healthy pool of opinion was established within the club, Steve, Jean-Olivier and I got to testing this morning at Nicholson's Point.

We towed pumpkins on the surface in nets that Steve built for about 10 minutes from shore, far enough that we hoped to have 100 feet depth to test. At this point, we dropped a line to the bottom, and started our descent. I brought "Jill", the larger of the two pumpkins, and noticed a dent and a crack at about 60 feet. Jean-Olivier saw bubbles emerging from near the stem of "Jack" at about the same depth. Also significantly, both pumpkins were significantly less buoyant than before the dive.

After surfacing and swimming back to shore, visible cracks could be seen in both pumpkins, and a post mortem style exam revealed that both had filled more than half full of water during the dive.

We warmed up in Jean-Olivier's camper/van with freshly brewed tea.

Today, I tried a triple layer - my surfshirt between my shorty and 7mm suit, with double gloves, fine gloves tucked in wetsuit and gauntlets on the outside. I may yet get neoprene socks like Sylvain, but overall I wasn't too cold. Until I got out and changed.

No comments: